The Landmarks Commission recognizes and preserves properties that represent elements of the City's thriving cultural heritage and architectural history. The designated landmarks and local historic districts include businesses, schools, churches, cemeteries, and a multitude of historically significant homes. The mission of the Kirkwood Landmarks Commission is to protect, retain, and enhance such properties.
- Landmarks Commission webpage for Certificate of Appropriateness, meetings, and minutes
- Landmarks Commission Map
- Landmarks Brochure
- Historic Kirkwood Landmarks Walking Tour
There 85 designated landmarks located in Kirkwood. These properties receive the greatest protection in the City, and any demolition or exterior alterations are subject to review by the Landmarks Commission.
Local Historic Districts
Eight local historic districts have been designated by the Landmarks Commission: Meramec Highlands (circa 1892, recognized in 1988); Central Place (circa 1920s, recognized in 1998); Jefferson-Argonne (circa 1805s through WWII, recognized in 2007); Savoy (early 1950s modern, recognized in 2008); Craig Woods (mid 1950s, recognized in 2011); North Taylor (circa 1850s to 1950s, recognized in 2011); West Argonne (1859 to 1950s, recognized in 2014); and Barrett Brae (mid 1950s, recognized in 2015). Demolition and new construction of properties in these districts are subject to review by the Landmarks Commission in accordance with Design Guidelines.
North Taylor Avenue
*Refer to the general Design Guidelines for all Landmarks and Historic Districts:
National Register of Historic Places
There are 24 properties and four historic districts (Downtown Kirkwood, East Monroe, Jefferson-Argonne, and North Taylor) listed on the National Register of Historic Places. While these designations are strictly honorary, a property on the national registry may be eligible for grants and tax credits for rehabilitation.