City Hall Access Limited to Appointment Only. Community Center Closed. Board & Commission Meetings Postponed. 

In an effort to protect the public and City employees, city hall is accessible by appointment only during regular business hours. Board & Commission Meetings and Municipal Court have been postponed until further notice. Kirkwood Electric & Kirkwood Water will not be doing shut-offs, and late fees for utility payments will be waived. The Community Center (including the ice rink) and Kirkwood Train Station are closed until further notice. Amtrak service has not been suspended. 

Please call police dispatch at 314-822-5858 for general inquiries or for further assistance.  Other inquiries can be made by emailing

Stay up to date on changes to City services and facility closures from the City of Kirkwood HERE.

Occupancy Permits and Utilities Sign-Up

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

When you move into the City of Kirkwood, you must obtain an Occupancy Permit and also sign up for some utilities. This is true whether you are the owner, a tenant or a business, and it is true for single-family homes, apartments, condos, and commercial buildings. Utilities provided by the City of Kirkwood: Electric, Water, Sanitation. 

Please Note:  Some households in the City of Kirkwood are served by Ameren rather than Kirkwood Electric. 

For utility billing, visit this page.


Occupancy Permits must be obtained in person at the Building Commissioner's office. The following process has been established to help streamline this process:

  • Complete the online Occupancy Inspection application. You can pay for the inspection with this form.
  • A representative from the Building Commissioner's Office will then call you to schedule your inspection.
  • After the inspection has been completed and your home or business has passed the inspection, including rectifying any problems, you will then need to come to Kirkwood City Hall, 139 S. Kirkwood Road, 63122, during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday) to obtain your permit and sign up for utilities. The Building Commissioner's Office is on the lower level.
  • After visiting the Building Commissioner's Office, you will head back to the main level to sign up for utilities.
  • If you are in the Kirkwood Electric service area, you will sign up for electric, water, and sanitation at the Finance window. You will need to sign up for gas service separately. See below.
  • If you are in the Ameren Electric service area, you will sign up for water and sanitation at the Finance window. You will then need to sign up for electric service separately with Ameren (in addition to gas service). See below.

Other Utility Information