City Hall Access Limited to Appointment Only. Community Center Closed. 

Until further notice, City facilities other than City Hall will remain closed to the public. City hall will continue to provide access only by appointment. Residents interested in purchasing yard waste bags or tags can click HERE for information on retail establishments where they can be purchased. Contractor grade black trash bags in bulk can be purchased at most home improvement stores.


Kirkwood Electric & Kirkwood Water will not be doing shut-offs, and late fees for utility payments will be waived. Amtrak service has not been suspended, however effective May 11 all Amtrak passengers will be required to wear a mask (and provide their own when doing so).


Please call police dispatch at 314-822-5858 for general inquiries or for further assistance.  Other inquiries can be made by emailing


Stay up to date on changes to City services and facility closures from the City of Kirkwood HERE. Subscribe to Kirkwood's E-Newsletter HERE

Fence Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Fences are permitted in Kirkwood that adhere to the rules set forth in the Kirkwood Fence Code.

The intent and purpose of the Fence Code is to protect the public from the dangers of unsafe fences, safeguard and enhance private and public investment in property, and encourage effective fencing practice.


Permits are required for construction or reconstruction of any fence. Permit applications shall show height, type, construction, material, and location of fence relative to property lines. Permits may be obtained from the Building Commissioner’s Office located on the lower level of City Hall. Call 822-5823, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., for more information.

Site Plan

Fence permit applications shall include a site plan which adequately represents the premises and contains dimensions to physical features which are easily located on the premises. If a front yard fence or a fence near a public right-of-way is proposed, then the site plan shall include the location of the edge of the street pavement, curb, or sidewalk in relation to the fence. Although a spot survey is not required, it is recommended and will usually satisfy the site plan requirements when the location of the proposed fence is drawn on the survey.


The fence permit fee is $48.

General Fence Regulations


  • Fences shall not be constructed in any location of paper, cloth, canvas, bamboo, chicken coop wire, or barbed wire.
  • Fences located between the street and a building in a residential area shall not be constructed of chain link wire, wire mesh, plastic mesh, or wooden slats.
  • Fences shall not have electric current running through them.
  • Fences shall not be constructed of single or double wire.
  • Fences in residential areas shall not contain barbed wire.

Height & Openness:

  • Fences in residential areas shall not exceed 6 feet in height measured from the ground to the top of the fence. (Posts may be 6 inches higher than the top of the fence.)
  • Fences in residential areas which are located in front of the residence shall not exceed 4 feet in height and must be at least 1/3 open. (The front of the residence is the area between the front of the house and the street to which the house is addressed.)


  • Fences shall not be located within any public right-of-way.
  • Fences shall be located at least 12 feet from the curb or edge of a street.
  • Fences shall be located at least one foot from the edge of a public sidewalk or walkway.
  • Fences shall be located at least 25 feet from the point of intersection of the curb or edge of any intersecting streets.

Other Fence Regulations

  • Fences around an institution, park, playground, school, or commercial or industrial site shall not exceed 10 feet in height.
  • Tennis court fences shall be of open mesh construction and shall not exceed 15 feet in height.
  • The Planning and Zoning Commission or City Council may specify fence height and materials as part of a Site Plan Review or Special Use Permit.
  • Public safety fences enclosing utilities, bridge abutments, retaining walls, culverts, walkways, and drainage channels are exempt from the fence ordinance.
  • In non-residential zoning districts, barbed wire shall be at least 6 feet above grade and not adjacent to a street, sidewalk, or park.
  • Swimming pools shall be enclosed with a fence at least 4 feet high with a self-latching and self-closing gate. (See Pool Regulations available at Building Commissioner’s office.)

Appeals & Variances

The Board of Adjustment may grant variances based on undue hardship. Contact the Assistant City Planner for more information at 822-5815.

Additional Information

The Building Commissioner enforces the Kirkwood Fence Code. For more information on permit applications, requirements, or other Fence Code information, contact the Building Commissioner’s Office at 822-5823.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer