Building, Remodeling, and Repairs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Protect Yourself & Your Property

What you should know when you build, remodel, or repair: Building Codes and Zoning Codes are designed to protect the residents, neighborhoods, and properties in the community.

Building Code & Zoning Code Information

  • Permits are issued and inspections are conducted for all new construction in the City of Kirkwood to insure compliance with current building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, fence, and sign codes.
  • Permits are issued and inspections are required for remodeling and repair work to existing structures. A permit is also required in order to erect or replace a fence.
  • Permits are issued based on compliance with the current Zoning Code, to protect the quality of neighborhoods and commercial property within the City of Kirkwood.
  • All contractors performing repair work, remodeling, or new construction must be licensed and most obtain a Building Permit. A list of licensed contractors may be viewed at the Building Commissioner’s Office, located on the lower level of Kirkwood City Hall.

Occupancy Inspections & Permits

When occupancy changes, whether residential or commercial, the property must be inspected to insure compliance with existing property maintenance codes.

These inspections are intended to assist in protecting the health, safety, and welfare of the general public. This inspection does not replace the resident’s own obligation to be satisfied with the premises and to undertake private inspections. The interior and the exterior of the structure are inspected for a wide range of standards from smoke detectors to outside painting. A fee is charged for the inspection which includes one (1) re-inspection to determine if compliance has been achieved.

The re-occupancy permit is issued to the new occupant when the compliance is obtained.

Additional Information

The Building Commissioner enforces the Kirkwood Building Codes. Contact the Building Commissioner’s Office at 822-5823, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for more information on the following:

  • Building Code
  • Electric & Mechanical Code
  • Plumbing Code
  • Sign Code
  • Fence Code
  • Inspections & Permits
  • Building Permits
  • Housing Inspections
  • Occupancy Permits
  • Architectural Review Board
  • Board of Adjustment (zoning variance)
  • Board of Appeals (building code appeals)