- To schedule an inspection or for general questions, call: Note: You must schedule an inspection at least 48 hours in advance.
- For plan review and permitting, contact the Plans Examiner, Russell Todd: 314-822-5817
Please Note: Effective June 1, 2019, the 2015 ICC Family of Codes, have been adopted by City Council, with local amendments.
- PAY for an Occupancy Inspection Online (Must come into City Hall to obtain your Occupancy permit)
- Sewer Lateral Program Brochure/Application
- Kirkwood Licensed Contractors can set up a Master Account to view permit history and information related to a specific permit. Apply online for certain plumbing and residential mechanical permits.
- Not sure if you need the Building Commissioner's Office or Code Enforcement? Read our brochure about the differences.
- Building Permit Application: For building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and miscellaneous permits. Signatures are required prior to inspections. Fillable PDF Application
- Contractor's Business License Application
- Demolition Permit Application. Note: Call Sanitation to return the recycling cart prior to demolition. Call 314-822-5828.
- Demolition for a Detached Accessory Structure Permit Application
- Fence Permit Application
- Home Occupation Application
- This is an application for a home-based business, which is required in Kirkwood.
- Commercial Occupancy Inspection Application
- Residential Occupancy Inspection Application
- Temporary Tent Permit Application and Requirements
For Driveway, Excavation, Parking lot and Grading permits visit the Engineering page
Boards and Commissions- Calendar
- Architectural Review Board - Application and Information
- Board of Adjustment - Application and Information
- Landmarks Commission - Information
- Planning & Zoning Commission - Information
The items required to be submitted to obtain full plan review and approval for a new Single Family Residence in the city of Kirkwood are:
1) Full construction plans signed and sealed by an architect registered in the state of Missouri
2) Site plan signed and sealed by an engineer registered in the state of Missouri showing existing and proposed grades, driveway and sidewalks and drainage plan, etc.
3) Truss drawings signed and sealed by an engineer registered in the state of Missouri
4) HVAC plans and heat loss/gain calculations
5) Cover sheet of the installation instructions for pre-fabricated fireplace (including direct-vent and ventless) the full installation instructions shall remain on the job site for reference by the inspector
*Two copies of the above are required to be submitted. One copy of the above will be returned to the applicant stamped and signed by the plan reviewer with any notes attached for builder reference.
When applying for a permit, two sets of all building documents, drawn to scale, are required for residential permits. Three sets are required for commercial permits.
Missouri Minimum Boundary Survey Required: Two copies of a Missouri Minimum Boundary Survey, sealed by a Land Surveyor or Engineer within the last 24 months, must be submitted for all new construction, additions, lot coverage, floor area ratio, pools, and detached accessory structures.
Review Time: Review time for single-family new homes and commercial construction is 10 to 14 days . The review time for all other permits is 7 to 10 days.
- Need to know more about the purpose of building permits?
- Municipality Worksheet - Summary of the most common building and zoning requirements
- How to obtain a business license - For a business located in the Kirkwood city limits
Listing of fees: Fees Resolution 105-2018
International Code Ordinances (amendments)
- Plumbing Code
- Please Note: Building sewer pipe material shall be a minimum of Schedule 40 PVC or greater in all categories of pipe. (SDR35 pipe is not acceptable.)
- Amending Building Code Condemnation Proceedings - Costs
- Fuel Gas Code
- 2015 International Building Code (Adopted by Council in April 2019)
- International Fire Code
- International Mechanical Code
- International Property Maintenance Code
- International Residential Code - One- and Two-Family Dwellings
- Energy Conservations
- Existing Building
- Private Sewage Disposal
- Swimming Pool and Spa