The City of Kirkwood's liquor license ordinance can be found in Chapter 3 of the City's Code of Ordinances.
Process for Obtaining a New Liquor License in City of Kirkwood
- Complete a Liquor License Application and return it to the Finance Department with the appropriate payment.
- Fingerprinting and a background check are required. The Finance Department will help facilitate this with other departments.
- After all paperwork is complete and has been received, the request will be presented to the Kirkwood City Council for approval. City Council meetings are held on the first and third Thursdays of the month. The applicant is not required to be present at this meeting but is welcome to do so.
- After Council approval has been obtained, a City of Kirkwood liquor license will be issued and the applicant will be contacted. However, the applicant still must obtain liquor licenses from the State of Missouri and from St. Louis County. Obtaining these licenses is the responsibility of the applicant (see contact information below)
Process for Renewing an Existing Liquor License in City of Kirkwood
- A renewal letter will be mailed to the business approximately 90 days prior to the expiration date of the existing liquor license
- A copy of the renewal letter will also be sent to the Kirkwood Police Department. An officer will visit the business to verity that current State of Missouri and St. Louis County liquor licenses have been obtained and are posted in plain view for patrons to see
- The following paperwork will need to be received by the Finance Department before a liquor license is approved for renewal:
- Renewal Letter and Fee
- Approval from the Kirkwood Police Department
For information about a state license, call the State of Missouri Liquor Control office at 314-340-6835 (locally), or contact the Missouri Department of Public Safety, Division of Liquor Control, at 301 W. High Street, Suite 860, Jefferson City, Missouri, 65101. The phone number is 573-751-2333.
For information about a St. Louis County license, call: 314-615-4217.
For any additional questions regarding the City of Kirkwood’s policies, call 314-984-6944.