Neighborhood Caretaker Alert
Response Center

Citizens can use the Neighborhood Caretaker Alert (NCA) form to anonymously notify the City of issues or concerns.  The NCA form is available in paper form only at City Hall, 139 S. Kirkwood Road; at the Kirkwood Community Center, 111 S. Geyer Road; at the Kirkwood Public Library, 140 E. Jefferson Avenue; and at ALL THREE Fire Houses (137 W. Argonne, 11804 Big Bend, and 1321 W. Essex).  If you have completed a form previously, you can find the results of your anonymous Neighborhood Caretaker Alert form here - click on the link and then enter your form number:

All Aboard: the City Blog

The City of Kirkwood is BLOGGING!  Join us in the conversation at ALL ABOARD, the City's new blog.  Read cool stuff, and leave a comment or a question!

What's a blog?  Well, it's short for Web Log or Weblog (with the first two letters deleted), which means it's a log or diary about what's going on in the City.  It's less formal in its approach and style, but more interactive!  That means we hope you'll get involved by sending a comment on something you've read on the blog, or by posing a question.

We're glad you're here, and we hope you enjoy the ride!

City Clerk

Boards and Commissions

Kirkwood Boards and Commissions have a long history and have been an integral and important part of City government. Residents who volunteer to serve on a board or commission dedicate many hours a month without compensation to make Kirkwood’s government reflective of the attitudes and beliefs of all of its residents. Most boards and commissions are advisory to the Kirkwood City Council. They study issues and make recommendations.

All board and commission members are appointed by the City Council upon recommendation by the Mayor or a Council Member, after completion of the Volunteer Profile Form. Sometimes an individual will volunteer; other times, an individual may be asked to serve after being observed doing other volunteer work in the community. The goal is to appoint individuals who have the appropriate skills and interests for a given board or commission. In order to allow for more diversity, boards and commission members can only be appointed to two consecutive terms.

A few City boards, such as the Local Housing Authority, the Library Board, the Board of Adjustment, or the Kirkwood Park Board, have more specific responsibilities that are somewhat independent of the City Council. The Park Board and Library Board, for instance, have complete administrative control over the expenditures in their respective areas. The Board of Adjustment is a quasi-judicial body, which exercises its decision-making authority totally independent of the City Council.

If you are interested in serving on a board or commission, please complete the Volunteer Profile Form, and hit submit, or call the City Clerk at 822-5802.

Meeting schedules and agendas for all boards and commissions is available here.

BOARDS & COMMISSIONS ROSTER:  This is a complete roster listing of membership, Council liaisons, staff liaisons, meeting times, and contact information. The duties and responsibilities for the boards and commissions that meet monthly, along with recent meeting minutes, can be found on each board or commission’s individual page - see list on the right-hand side of this page, in the gold sub-navigation.

The following boards and commissions either do not meet regularly, or they post their meeting minutes on their own Websites:

Civilian Pension Board: Administers the pension plan in accordance with its terms and provisions.

Civil Service Commission: Ensures fair and just municipal employment. Ensures that employees are selected and promoted on the basis of merit. Serves as a board of recommendation to the Human Resources department and City Council concerning general personnel policies. Serves as a board of hearing concerning employee grievances, submitting recommendations to the Chief Administrative Officer.

Downtown Special Business District Advisory Commission: Develops and implements strategic activities to promote and enhance the Downtown Kirkwood Special Business District. Provides oversight of all expenditures and management of the Kirkwood Farmers' Market. Commission members must be owners or managers of a municipally licensed business or own commercial property within the boundaries of the district. For more information, visit the Downtown Special Business District’s Website.

Industrial Development Authority: May grant tax-exempt status for financing if industry will add jobs and improve the City. Has the authority to use bonds. Acquires and develops real estate for industrial development. Promotes and solicits industries and economic development in the City.

Library Board: Maintains complete administrative authority over the library tax, including how it is spent and how the library is operated. For more information, visit the Kirkwood Library’s Website.

Local Housing Authority: Provides and maintains facilities for low-income housing for elderly.

Market/Commons Committee: Reviews and makes recommendations on the use, maintenance and improvement of the Farmer’s Market and commons area. Authorizes the expenditure of any funds for the operation of the market facilities, subject to approval of the City Council. For more information about the Farmers’ Market, visit the Downtown Special Business District’s Website.

Police & Fire Pension Board: Administers the plan through its duly authorized officers in a uniform and nondiscriminatory manner.